Friday, 15 April 2016


So the day before I had the joy of drinking what basically tasted like lead was possibly one of the most painful things I have had to do so far.  This was so to basically to give my  insides an early opportunity to get used to being radioactive. Afterwards I went out and got a nice shirt for my upcoming formal so some good and some bad. No matter what even if I am not graduating in June I am going to party as if I am.

So Sunday morning came, thank fully in comparison to my previous medical issues this was a lot quicker and a lot less thick needles. You know things are not going well with you when you are going to a hospital on a Sunday. You may be surprised to hear not that busy. The reception in the imaging area was not even open.

So you show up, then you have an hour to drink a cocktail of orange squash and whatever they need you to drink to make your insides shiny. So time came and I had to get changed, but you may be surprised to hear got to keep my trousers on this time.

I go into a closed off room and set myself down on a bed which takes me into the machine. And yes once sorted they did needle me.  This machine is very cool but I wish I was just looking at it rather than getting scanned. I am sent through the machine and on the other side my arm is hooked up to another drip.

But this is a little different drip, mildly radioactive dye. It’s a surreal moment being told at the age of 21 you are going to feel like you have wet yourself. But 5 seconds later with the dye following in my blood steam I suddenly had (they did warm me) a random warm feeling though out my body. Including (and again I was warned of this) feeling like I had wet myself. Yes age 21 having a sensation I thankfully not had in at least 10 years. This experience, does continue to bring new sensations.

The next ten minutes just involved me holding my breath going in and out of the machine the joy. After it was all done my dad decided he would allow us to enjoy an extra 20 minutes at the QE by not paying attention to mums text to come and pick us up. But overall things where pretty simple.

So the next day I went to get another needle injected into. The joys lol, today's needle unlike yesterday was taking my blood rather than putting radio active stuff into me.

This time I was getting my blood taken at Birmingham’s cancer sent, which was a weird experience for a couple of reasons, firstly this, and this going to sound weird, was the first time since getting diagnosed had I been around other peoples with various forms of cancer. That’s more of an observation than anything deeper, as I was to awkward to actually talk to other people in the waiting room.

But the second reason because it was kind of like something I hadn’t had to do since the early days  of secondary school, going to get school shoes, and that was get a ticket and wait your turn. It was basically a conveyor belt your turn comes up you go in no talking they take the blood they need and you are on your way.

So I am writing this unsure what my next blog is  going to be, but hopefully it will be mildly interesting J

No comments:

Post a Comment